For Your Information
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the benefits of becoming an ASCD member?
ASCD membership offers many tangible rewards, including access to the award-winning magazine Educational Leadership, membership discounts on professional development events, resources, and access to our extensive research archives on the Internet. We're here to maximize your access to information and ideas about education. Please visit Member Benefits for more information.
2. The membership type I selected includes free member books. How do I order them?
Member books are selected in advance by ASCD and will be automatically mailed to you throughout the year. These are newly published books, sent to members first, that our editors believe will interest educators at all levels.
3. I am an ASCD member, but I keep receiving promotions to join. Why?
If your ASCD membership is current, please understand that you received this mailing because our computer was unable to match your name and address as it appears on the mailing label with your current membership record.
To help ensure that you do not receive this type of mailing in the future, please indicate that you are a current member (and your ASCD member ID if known) on the reply form and return it in the postage-paid envelope. We will promptly process your reply. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
4. Can I renew my membership online? If so, how?
ASCD members may go to the My Account area to renew online.
5. Once I have renewed my inactive membership online, how long will it be before I can access online resources?
You will have access immediately if you renewed online or by phone. It may take up to three business days for fax or mail orders. If you haven't received access within that time, please call the ASCD Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday, for assistance.
6. I'd like to upgrade or downgrade my membership when I renew. Can I do that online?
Members have the option to upgrade their membership online. If you would like to downgrade, please call the Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday, for assistance.
7. If my membership has expired, can I still renew online?
Yes. Go to the My Account area to renew online.
^Return to top.
Ordering and Returns
1. Does ASCD have a discount policy?
For books (no discounts on Building Academic Vocabulary student materials):
- Buy 10 or more of the same title, save 10 percent
- Buy 50 or more of the same title, save 15 percent
- Buy 2 or more of the same video title, save 40 percent
2. How do I check order status, make changes to an existing order, receive tracking information, and get additional information about my online transaction?
Please contact the ASCD Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2 for assistance, or contact us online.
3. How do I place an order online?
Visit ASCD's Online Store.
4. I want to place an order for which I want some items sent to me and some sent elsewhere. Can I do this?
Yes! Please contact the ASCD Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2 for assistance.
5. Will I receive a confirmation of my online order?
You will receive an online summary confirmation and e-mail acknowledgement of your online order. In addition, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with tracking details once the order is shipped.
6. Can I change or cancel my online order once it's been submitted?
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to cancel your order before it is processed to ship. However, please call us at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2 for assistance. Please have your Online Store order acknowledgement number when calling. If it’s after hours, then you can e-mail us. We will make every effort to process your request. If your order has already been processed to ship, you can either refuse shipment when it arrives or return it within 45 days for full credit or refund.
7. If my selection is on back order, what happens?
Items that are currently on back order are indicated as such in our store. You may still order these items, and they will ship as soon as they become available. If a product won't be available for more than 30 days, you will receive a letter with the option to cancel.
8. Can I see when a back-ordered item will be available?
You will receive a letter providing you with the expected ship date for your item.
9. What payment methods are accepted online?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit cards.
10. If I decide not to keep an item, what is your return policy?
No prior authorization is required to return books to ASCD.
- A return must include a customer's chargeback or similar document or copies of the original invoices or orders for the returned items. A chargeback must cite an invoice or order for each item returned.
- Credits will be applied to the original invoices. Customers should not deduct return credits when calculating payments. All invoices must still be paid in full by their due date.
- All returned items must be in resalable condition. Shop-worn, damaged, or defaced items will not be accepted for credit or refund.
- Credit for shipping charges is at ASCD's discretion.
- Returns of e-books, magazines, downloadable PDF products, or gift cards are not accepted.
- Credit memos are generated when returns are processed. Credits will be reflected on the next monthly statement.
Bookstores: All returns must be received within 120 days of the original invoice date. A request for an extension of return privileges must be in writing (e-mail).
Non-Bookstore Customers (including schools, individuals, and distributors): Returns must be received within 45 days of the original invoice date. A request for an extension of return privileges must be in writing (e-mail).
Distributors: ASCD is under no obligation to accept the return of materials covered under your distributor agreement unless the materials are damaged in shipment from ASCD.
Ship returns prepaid to
8779 Greenwood Place Suite A
Savage, MD 20763
If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to call us at 1-800-933-2723, then press 1, for a customer service representative.
11. How long does it take to receive credit for products I returned?
Generally it takes 2–4 weeks before you see a credit on your credit card or receive a refund check. Refunds are provided by the same means as the payment on your original purchase.
12. I received an incorrect or damaged product. What should I do?
Please contact the ASCD Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 1 for assistance.
13. Does ASCD charge tax?
Yes, please visit our Sales Tax and GST section for details.
^Return to top.
1. May I send someone else in my place to a conference I have registered for? Will there be any additional charges?
If you are unable to attend, you may send a nonregistered person in your place with registration confirmation or written authorization from you. There may be an adjustment to the price if your replacement has a different membership status than you.
2. How do I register online for professional development opportunities and conferences?
Simply visit the Professional Development area, where you can view the lists of events and register for them.
3. How can I be certain that you have received my online registration?
If you entered an e-mail address when you registered, you will receive an e-mail acknowledgment within 30 minutes of submitting your registration. If you did not enter an e-mail address, you may call the Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 2, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday, to confirm that we received and processed your registration.
4. Can I register a team of five or more online?
Every fifth person registered from the same school organization may attend without paying a registration fee. (Note: Registrations must be submitted together and include payment of all materials fees.) Because registrations for a team of five or more must be submitted together, we currently cannot accept them online. Please call our Service Center at 1-800-933-2723 or 1-703-578-9600, then press 1, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday, for more information about registering your team.
5. I already own the materials required for the program for which I am registering. How do I indicate this when registering online?
The materials fee is automatically included when registering online. To have it removed, please e-mail us.
^Return to top.
Member and Customer Access
1. How can I get my ASCD password?
Please go to Forgot Your Password, or feel free to contact us online.
2. Can I personalize my password?
Yes; once you have logged in on the ASCD site, there will be a link available for you to change your password.
3. I’d like to change my ID number to a username; can I do this?
Not at this time. We hope to have this feature activated in the near future.
4. I’m a member. Does that automatically give me access to the digital edition of Educational Leadership?
Yes! Just log in with your customer ID or username and password at Digital EL.
1. How do I activate a PD Online Course?
Each Professional Development Online (PD Online) course credit is good for a single PD Online course, and your access to the course is good for one year from the date of activation. Once a credit is used, it cannot be reused. To sign up for a PD Online course, you should:
- Log into your PD Online account.
- Enter your order number along with your e-mail address; otherwise, click on the link directly below the Submit button to search without an order number or e-mail.
- Select the account where you want your credits added, and then click Submit.
- Click OK to confirm the provisioning of your course credit.
- Click Continue to my LMS to access your PD Online account.
Multiple Course Purchase: To deposit course credits into a group account, you must have an administrator for that PD Online account. To set up an account, please e-mail us for further assistance.
2. How do I purchase an online service?
ASCD offers online services including PD Online™ courses, the PD In Focus™ tool, Healthy Schools Communities, and more!
Please visit our Online Store or the Online Access page for more information or to purchase access to one of these services.
3. I enrolled in a PD Online course. How do I access my course?
Go to ASCD's new PD Online home page to log in. If you are enrolled in a classic course, please log in here.
4. I purchased a PD In Focus individual subscription after December 1, 2010. How do I access my account?
Please contact us to complete your account activation.
^Return to top.