ASCD Announces 2013 Conference on Teaching Excellence in National Harbor, Md.
Alexandria, VA (04/10/2013)—ASCD, the global leader in providing programs, products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each learner, will host its Conference on Teaching Excellence June 28–30, 2013, in National Harbor, Md. The conference—which will take place over two and a half days—will focus on the topic of teaching excellence and will have more than 150 sessions tailored for educators of all levels, including teachers, teacher leaders, principals, and district supervisors.
"It's more important than ever before to invest in our educators and the power of great instruction," said ASCD Executive Director and CEO Dr. Gene R. Carter. "ASCD's 2013 Conference on Teaching Excellence will provide attendees with the necessary tools for taking effective resources, strategies, and best practices and implementing them in their own schools and districts."
This year's session highlights from the Conference on Teaching Excellence will include the following:
- Common Core Standards! I’m Ready, Are You?, led by education consultant Edwin Javius, will explore strategies for meeting the needs of culturally diverse students, English language learners, and students with special needs. The session, geared toward educators of all levels, will provide educators with the strategies they need to refine their professional learning communities.
- Becoming a High-Reliability School, led by education expert and ASCD author Robert Marzano, will present a research-based model for school reform. School leaders and administrators will learn how to ensure that their schools support a safe and orderly environment with viable curricula that track student progress and ensure student mastery of content.
- Essential Questions: Doorways to Understanding will explore the Understanding by Design® framework. Led by education expert and ASCD author Grant Wiggins, this session will instruct educators of all levels how to focus on asking essential questions in their instruction and how to use those questions to frame assessments.
- Building Teachers' Capacity for Success: A Collaborative Approach for Coaches and School Leaders will explore how to maximize each teacher's contributions to education through individualized motivation, personalized feedback, and different coaching techniques. Led by Pete Hall of Spokane Public Schools in Spokane, Wash., attendees of this session will practice walk-throughs that deliver appropriate, growth-oriented feedback to staff.
- Using Formative Assessments with Common Core State Standards, led by education consultant Sandra Page, will focus on how formative assessments are integral to lesson planning within the Common Core State Standards. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in analysis of example assessments, students' responses to those assessments, and the subsequent instructional adjustments made by teachers.
- Supporting and Engaging the Whole Child Through the Turnaround Process, led by education consultant Michael Rulon, will explore how to support the whole child using the Response to Intervention model. This session is tailored for elementary-, middle-, and secondary-level educators.
In addition to the full lineup of conference sessions, ASCD will host two pre-conference institutes on June 27, 2013. The first pre-conference institute, led by Robert Marzano, will focus on the theme of "Effective Supervision: Supporting the Art and Science of Teaching." Attendees will explore current trends in teacher evaluation and learn best practices for collecting observational information about teachers' pedagogical skills and measuring student growth.
The second pre-conference institute, "Flipped Professional Development: Improving Teacher Effectiveness Using 21st Century Tools," will be led by education expert and ASCD author Heidi Hayes Jacobs and education consultant Marie Alcock. This institute will provide attendees with new tools, approaches, and cost-effective plans for integrating digital tools, multimedia, and online communities into professional development practices.
Visit the 2013 Conference on Teaching Excellence web page for more information, to register, or to download the preview guide (PDF). For more information about the association or membership, visit www.ascd.org.