Classroom Instruction That Works Webinar Series
All webinars are presented by the authors of Classroom Instruction That Works, 2nd Edition. Sessions will be archived.
ASCD Webinars Home
Classroom Instruction That Works: Creating the Environment for Learning
Presented by Howard Pitler
This webinar focuses on the new research from the second edition of Classroom Instruction That Works, including a new instructional framework, which helps teachers understand when and why to use each strategy to support student success.
You will learn
- The importance of clearly defining teaching objectives.
- How to align classroom activities to learning objectives.
- How to effectively provide feedback and recognition to motivate student learning.
- Tools and strategies that can be immediately used in the classroom.
Classroom Instruction That Works: Helping Students Extend and Apply Knowledge
Presented by Bj Stone
In this session, participants will gain insights about the new research from the second edition of Classroom Instruction That Works. Using the instructional framework, those in attendance will deepen their understanding of how, when, and why to apply strategies that enhance student learning. This webinar will focus on the third part of the CITW framework and those strategies that help students extend and apply knowledge.
Specifically, this session will focus on the strategies in the two remaining categories
- Identifying Similarities and Differences
- Creating Metaphors
- Creating Analogies
- Generating and Testing Hypothesis
- Systems Analysis
- Problem Solving
- Experimental Inquiry
Classroom Instruction That Works: Helping Students Develop Understanding
Presented by Elizabeth Hubbell
This session reviews new research from the second edition of Classroom Instruction That Works, including an updated instructional framework that helps teachers understand when and why to use each strategy to support student success. We will focus specifically on those strategies that help students activate background knowledge, connect new learning to previous learning, and better understand complex new information.
This webinar focuses on these strategies:
- Cues, questions, and advance organizers
- Nonlinguistic representations
- Summarizing and note taking
- Assigning homework and providing practice
We will also look at how various technologies can help teachers to use these strategies in the classroom.
May 2, 2013, 3:00 p.m. ET
Classroom Instruction That Works: Intentional Lesson Planning
Presented by Ceri Dean
This webinar focuses on the intentional use and integration of the nine categories of instructional strategies from Classroom Instruction That Works, 2nd Edition into your lesson plans.
You will learn
- The importance of intentionally planning lessons.
- How to incorporate research-based instructional strategies in lesson plans to create the environment for learning, help students develop understanding, and help students extend and apply knowledge.
- How to use our template that structures lesson planning to the nine categories.
May 21, 2013, 3:00 p.m. ET