2013 ASCD Legislative Agenda
Developed by ASCD members, the 2013 ASCD Legislative Agenda (PDF) outlines the association's public policy priorities for the year.
The key priority for ASCD and its members in 2013 is for Congress to reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Such a reauthorization must fix the flaws of the current law; align and support reform initiatives currently under way at the state and local levels; and guide subsequent revisions to federal programs, such as special education and career-technical education.
Within a new version of ESEA, ASCD seeks the following changes to provide stability and a long-term vision for our education system that ensures each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged:
- Meaningful accountability systems that take into account student growth, use multiple measures of evaluation beyond standardized test scores, and differentiate among levels of performance.
- Comprehensive improvement strategies that engage all stakeholders and are grounded in a whole child approach to education.
- Adequate and effective preparation and ongoing professional development for educators to improve student outcomes.
As policymakers and stakeholders address ESEA and other issues, ASCD believes the following guiding principles will help ensure success for students, educators, and education systems:
- Ensuring a whole child education that prepares youth for college, careers, and citizenship; addresses each student’s social, emotional, physical, and academic needs; and provides engaging learning opportunities in a safe and supportive environment.
- Using multiple measures beyond state standardized test scores to provide a comprehensive picture of student proficiency, educator effectiveness, and school quality.
- Providing sufficient time and resources for school improvement strategies that support an enriched curriculum, enhance the school culture, and are commensurate with the need.
- Ensuring educator evaluations use multiple measures and lead to professional development opportunities that build the capacity of districts and schools to improve student outcomes.
If you want to help promote effective education policies and influence policymakers to benefit your students and colleagues
- Sign up for Capitol Connection, ASCD's Educator Advocates weekly e-newsletter.
- Share the priorities in ASCD's 2013 Legislative Agenda (PDF) with your elected officials and colleagues.
For additional information about ASCD's legislative priorities, please contact the ASCD Policy Team.