Conference Countdown
Atlanta, Ga.
April 2-4, 2016
  • membership
  • my account
  • help

    We are here to help!

    1703 North Beauregard Street
    Alexandria, VA 22311-1714
    Tel: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723)
    Fax: 703-575-5400

    8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday

    Local to the D.C. area: 1-703-578-9600, press 2

    Toll-free from U.S. and Canada: 1-800-933-ASCD (2723), press 2

    All other countries: (International Access Code) + 1-703-578-9600, press 2


  • Log In
  • Forgot Password?


ASCD Annual Conference and Exhibit Show

2016 ASCD Annual Conference and Exhibit Show

Learn. Teach. Lead.
Get the tools to put it all together at this can't-miss education conference—with more than 200 sessions and five inspirational keynote speakers.

Learn more and register.



ASCD respects intellectual property rights and adheres to the laws governing them. Learn more about our permissions policy and submit your request online.

Policies and Requests

Translations Rights

Books in Translation

Premium, Select, and Institutional Plus Member Book (Jan 2003)
Log in to read this chapter.


What Works in Schools

by Robert J. Marzano

Table of Contents

Chapter 12. The Student-Level Factors

One of the perceived truisms in education has been that student background characteristics are the most important determinants of student achievement. Indeed, as discussed in Chapter 1, this was one of the primary conclusions of the studies by Coleman and colleagues (1966) and by Jencks and colleagues (1972). It has also been assumed that, implicitly or explicitly, these background characteristics are largely impervious to change. Popular books such as Bias in Mental Testing by Arthur Jensen (1980) and The Bell Curve by Richard Heurnstein and Charles Murray (1994) have made elaborate statistical cases that background characteristics, particularly intelligence, are genetically based and can be changed little by schooling. In contrast, I believe that the research clearly shows that even some of most negative aspects of a student's background can be mediated by school-based interventions.

In Chapter 1, I supplied evidence that schools generally account for only 20 percent of the variance in student achievement and that student background characteristics account for the other 80 percent. But what if a school could do something about those background characteristics? In the next three chapters, we explore which student background factors schools can address and what they might do about them. What, then, are the student background characteristics that influence academic achievement?

Student-Level Factors: A Comparison Across Researchers


You must be an ASCD Select or Premium member to view this content.

Log in.


Log in to submit a comment.

To post a comment, please log in above. (You must be an ASCD EDge community member.) Free registration