ASCD's Electronic Publications
Educational Leadership is the flagship journal for ASCD. It’s published eight times a year and is available to current ASCD members, who can also enjoy for free a full-color, interactive digital edition of EL that looks just like the print EL.
Available since September 2009, the digital EL offers instant links to audio, video, and websites mentioned in the text. Members can also search it, share it, and download it. Nonmembers may preview a portion of each issue in the digital format.
In addition to the digital EL, the entire archive of EL issues is available online. Articles from 1943 to 1997 are open to anyone. Members can sign in to read, search, and print the text of any EL article from 1997 or later. Nonmembers can view sample articles in the online archive.
The online archive of EL issues also offers bonus issues each year and free, exclusively online articles that extend each EL theme issue. Go to www.ascd.org/el to find these online-only articles with each archived issue.
Books and Action Tools
ASCD publishes books and action tools that influence education practice around the world. We strive to blend theory and practice and to explore important issues of concern to all the people involved in educational endeavors: teachers, principals, superintendents, central office staff, curriculum developers, staff development specialists, professors, policymakers, school board members, parents, and students.
You can purchase e-book versions of most ASCD titles in ASCD’s Online Store, as noted in the descriptions for each book. ASCD also sells e-books through various distributors, including
- Amazon.com—Including sites in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain.
- Barnes & Noble—PDF for NOOK Study eTextbook application (PC and Mac); EPUB format for NOOK
- Courseload—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- ebrary.com—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- EBSCOhost—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- Follett Digital—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- Follett CafeScribe
- Gale/Cengage—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- Ingram Digital's MyiLibrary—This company sells to institutions (primarily libraries), rather than individuals.
- LightningSource.com—This company distributes e-books to online retailers.
- Mackin—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- MBS Direct—This company sells to institutions, rather than individuals.
- Overdrive.com—This company sells to institutions and retailers, rather than individuals.
Our e-books are fully searchable and are compatible with various devices:
- Our PDF e-books are best read on a computer or a tablet like an iPad. Although the files can be loaded on a Kindle, the reading experience is poor, even on the largest model, the Kindle DX.
- Our Amazon Kindle books can be read on a Kindle; on a PC using the Kindle for PC application; or on an iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone using the Kindle app (books with many tables and graphics may not display well on the handheld devices).
- ASCD offers PDF e-books of most titles for sale in the online store. When available, the PDF e-book comes with bonus MOBI and EPUB files to ensure compatibility with any device you choose to use, such as a Kindle or Nook.
- With the new app, “ASCD for iPad,” available exclusively on the App Store, educators who purchase ASCD e-books can easily access that content on their iPad. ASCD members can also use the app to access their members-only content such as Educational Leadership, Education Update and Policy Priorities. For ASCD premium online or select online members, the app will automatically sync their ASCD e-books.
More information about ASCD's e-books can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions About ASCD’s Electronic Publications page. Watch this page for information about new e-book formats and distributors.
Sample Chapters and Study Guides
Sample chapters, study guides, and some online extras are available to all website visitors. Members can sign in to view the full text of their membership benefit books online.
Education Update is a monthly print newsletter that informs ASCD members and readers about trends in K–12 education (including teacher preparation) and important ASCD news. The newsletter also notifies members of official information as required by ASCD bylaws.
All ASCD members receive a subscription to Education Update. ASCD members can also access the entire archive of Education Update issues back to 1993 online for free. Just sign in to read, search, and print the text of any Education Update article. Nonmembers can view sample articles in the online archive.
This e-newsletter is delivered every two weeks and is filled with articles, tips, and an online video focusing on topics that are essential to successful education practice, such as classroom management, differentiated instruction, formative assessment, and instructional leadership. Members and nonmembers can view the full ASCD Express archives online as well as sign up to receive each issue.
Policy Priorities, formerly Infobrief, reflects the purpose of this quarterly policy publication, which is to provide background and context for critical, timely education policy issues. Administrators, teachers, families, policymakers, journalists, and others read Policy Priorities to better inform the decisions they make and the work they do.
ASCD members can access Policy Priorities for free when they sign in to the ASCD site. Nonmembers can view the Executive Summary for each issue in the online archive.
The International Journal of Education Policy and Leadership is an online, refereed scholarly journal that seeks to build bridges between researchers, policymakers, and practitioners to help identify best practices in learning, teaching, and leadership. All articles on IJEPL are free.
ASCD's Past Publications
In addition to the publications mentioned here, ASCD has a variety of publications that are no longer printed. However, select chapters and articles are free to view.
More information about these publications can be found in the Past Publications section.